Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Today we had an "off the water" day. So we did some cleaning, laundry and shopping. We also had dinner with a couple (Jim and Peggy) from Naples, FL who are docked next to us. They live on their boat in the Detroit area during the summer. We learned they will be going to the Finnfest gathering which will be held for 5 days next week in the Canadian Sault Ste. Marie. Interestingly, Peggy who is 100% Finnish like I am, was born in Upper Michigan, also like me. And even more interestingly, she was born in a little farming community next to where I was born. We went to the same school but even though she was a year behind me, she remembered me! I moved from there when I was in about 2nd grade. We had a wonderful visit about our backgrounds, neighbors, the community, etc. This was unreal as neither of these communities really are towns....they are more of a crossroad with the school, 2 stores and a church at the crossroad. Who would expect this to happen????!!!
The weather sounds good for a "go" tomorrow to head for Whitefish Point. No communication there is likely....... That is pure adventure if you want to call it that !